Studies of the Bet Tfila – Research Unit
Vol. 1 – Keßler, Katrin:
The Buildings of the Jewish Community in Schwedt/Oder
Die Bauwerke der jüdischen Gemeinde in Schwedt/Oder
21 x 26 cm, 64 pages, 57 b/w illustrations, brochure, German/English texts
ISBN 978-3-86568-314-4; 10,– € (D); out of print
Petersberg: Michael Imhof Verlag, 2007
Almost seventy years after their demise, this booklet presents the buildings of the Jewish congregation in Schwedt/Oder. Background information on the history of the congregation, numerous historic building plans, and computer reconstructions give a vivid picture of the former community, which left the greatest evidence of buildings in the land of Brandenburg. The reconstruction of the facilities of this relatively small community, whose significance is necessarily inferior to that of the larger known communities, is nevertheless exemplary for many Jewish congregations in Germany, whose buildings here and there are reminiscent of it.
Vol. 2 – Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, Hermann Simon, and Harmen H. Thies (Eds.):
Beiträge zur jüdischen Architektur in Berlin
21 x 6 cm, 112 pages, 82 b/w illustrations, brochure, German text
ISBN 978-3-86568-479-0; 12,80 € (D)
Petersberg: Michael Imhof Verlag, 2009
In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the city of Berlin was one of the greatest Jewish centers in Germany and Europe. As lively and multifarious as the community life appeared to be, so were the necessary infrastructure and the built community facilities.
By means of selected architectural examples, the international research team elucidates in this volume the broad spectrum of buildings (synagogues, mikva`ot), as well as social facilities (hospitals, old-people's homes). In addition, for the first time are presented and explained against their historical background, several architect-designed sukkoth, the prison-synagogues in Moabit and Plötzensee as well as the Jewish workers` colony in Weißensee, which until recently have not been studied.
Vol. 3 – Kravtsov, Sergey R.:
Di Gildene Royze
The Turei Zahav Synagogue in L'viv
21 x 26 cm, 88 pages, 75 b/w illustrations, brochure, English text with German summary
ISBN 978-3-86568-138-6; 12,80 € (D)
Petersberg: Michael Imhof Verlag, 2011
Di Gildene Royze, known also as the Turei Zahav or the Nachmanowicz Synagogue, was built in 1582 in L'viv, Ukraine. The book Di Gildene Royze tells the story of this place of prayer, a center of communal life, a monument of architecture, and a site of Jewish memory. The pictorial account portrays the synagogue in the city maps, architectural drawings, photographs, and numerous works of art depicting the structure during particular stages of its history. Computer-aided reconstructions help the reader to envision the synagogue in those bygone days, of which only archaeological and literary evidence has survived. The Jewish place of memory is shown through the meaningful dedicatory inscription of 1582, folk legends about this synagogue and its legendary savior, the righteous Golden Rose, as well as the Song of Deliverance, now translated to English. The book provokes a discussion on the destiny of this venerable landmark, destroyed during World War II and neglected after the war.
Vol. 4 – Aliza Cohen-Mushlin and Harmen H. Thies (Eds.):
Synagogue and Temple
200 Years of Jewish Reform Movement and Its Architecture
21 x 26 cm, 160 Seiten, 73 Farb- und 6 S/W-Abbildungen, Broschur,
Text deutsch und englisch
ISBN 978-3-86568-834-7; 19,95 € (D)
Petersberg: Michael Imhof Verlag, 2012
Around 1800, Germany formed the starting point of the Jewish Reform movement. The Jewish Enlightenment, the Haskalah, brought forth claims not only for equal rights of the Jews but also for a reorganisation of the Jewish service. Religious and liturgical impulses emanated from different German towns like Berlin, Dessau, Frankfurt/Main, and Hamburg. In Seesen, the Brunswick court banker Israel Jacobson contributed crucially to the beginnings of the international reformed and liberal Judaism by the foundation of his Free School (Freischule) in 1801 and the erection of a related school synagogue (until 1810).